Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fine, Fine. . . I'll tell you.


I've got a new Sunday ritual and it involves a radio show. I know. Am I moving backwards? Wow. Radio. What a concept.
It's an NPR show called "Wait, Wait. . . Don't tell me!" on Sundays at 11 am and it involves testing contestants knowledge of current events from the previous week. The show is taped in front of a live audience in Chicago and the contestants are listeners who call in. There is also a celebrity panel which usually includes Paula Poundstone and Mo Rocca. Now I think there are different people every few weeks on said panel but all I've heard is Paula and Mo.

This week, old portions of prior shows were played (re-runs) but I was delighted. Your friend and mine, Ken Jennings, was on the show. Remember him? The last we heard of him here on AALNJ he was snarking it up. But this was pre-publicity hound Ken and pre-ken-jennings.com Ken. It was a cute bit. You definitely would have liked it. Basically Carl Kasell (I always think it is Carl Castle) and Peter Sagal (the show's hosts) came up with questions they thought the man-who-knows-everything (KJ) would not possibly know. Now it was only three questions and you might think, how do you listen to this show? But they've got funny banter, ok?! It is all about the funny banter now, isn't it?!
First they asked him a question based on the Worst Case Scenario Handbook. I thought that was pretty funny. Like, really one of the last items you would think a Ken Jennings type might know about. The other two questions were about Nascar and People Magazine's Sexiest Man Alive issue. Believe it or not, Ken got all three correct. I did mention the questions are multiple choice right? Well, they are so, as much as this blog is about Ken Jennings worship, don't be thinking he REALLY knows everything since he could answer three questions about People's Sexiest Man Alive, Nascar, and the Worst Case Scenario Handbook. There was a funny comment in the end - I think it was Peter Segal who said something along the lines of..."I know, it was not only three multiple choice questions but it was three IN A ROW that you answered correctly." That Ken.

Anyway, that is all about this morning's radio show that has a little bit to do with a Jeopardy contestant and nothing to do with last night's Jeopardy.

But let's, for a moment, take note that both shows Jeopardy! and Wait, Wait. . . don't tell me! officially have exclamation points at the end of their names.

I want one. (whine)

From now on, I am Jess!

1 comment:

Liza said...

Jess! Jess! Jess! Jess! to be said like Glen! Glen! Glen! Glen! a la Starbucks.