Thursday, September 21, 2006

A 'Time' To Make Friends

I have a funny feeling that Time magazine might be stalking us. Opening up this week's edition in New York this morning - yes, I'm over here! etc. etc. - I couldn't help but notice that their culture section bore a similar train of thought to ours (and when I write ours, I mean this collective blog. And when I write train, I guess for this week only, I could also mean the L and R lines). Your appetizer: the TV review commented on Studio 60 and 30 Rock. They liked both and, cheap gags aside (the journo mentions that it's helpful that both shows tell you how long they are in their titles), the general consensus seemed to be that Studio 60 was as good as everyone knew it would be and 30 Rock surpassed the perceived wisdom that, like, a female comic wouldn't be able to do "funny". Sure. Er, Time magazine, I think that's Sarah Silverman holding on line 1...

But onto the main course: the book review was, naturellement, about Ken Jennings. Yes, he of this very parish (I know you're reading this. Next time - make sure your photo on the back cover is as charming as you were. Still, we're very much loving your work). And guess what? Time gave Ken the official thumbs up by admitting that one could have never guessed that trivia would be so interesting and fun. Furthermore, Ken's writing style was praised with certain chapters singled out in particular, such as the town that holds an annual trivia weekend. And whilst this week's Time won't be enough for me to take (out) "I'll have a yearly subscription for $100, please Alex", I'll admit that I was ever so slightly surprised that they covered him. Wherever will the man crop up next?

2 comments:

Liza said...

i hope he hits the uk soon....maybe he'll go on countdown?

Liza said...

i hope he hits the uk soon....maybe he'll go on countdown?